1. All games will be rally scoring.
2. Scores that games are played to will be based on the amount of teams in a division.
3. All games are win by two with no cap.
4. Switching sides will be based on what game are being played to.
5. All teams will make playoffs.
6. All playoff games will be single or double elimination.
7. Teams will be allotted two, one minute timeouts per game.
8. Serving must be made within the sidelines.
9. Open hand serve receive is not permitted.
10. Setting over onto your opponents side on ANY contact is not permitted.
11. Free balls and roll shots may not be played with open hands
12. Open hand tipping is not permitted.
13. Players may contact the ball with any part of their body.
14. You may cross under the net given there is no interference with the opponent.
15. There is no rotation rule in doubles.
Additional Grass Rules
1. Let serve is not permitted
2. The block will not count as 1 of your 3 touches.
Additional Beach Rules
1. Let serve is permitted if it is "short court"
2. Let serve is not permitted if it is "big court"
3. The block will count as 1 of your 3 touches if it is "short court".
Players, listen to the rules at the player meeting. Doubles tournaments can have different rules for rally scoring, net serve, open handed receives, setting, tipping, play at the net. Make sure you know the rules of your event. Make sure the players on your court know them. Discuss them with your court so you know everyone is on the same page. Make sure you know the time out rules in case you need a break for water or sunscreen.
AFTER EACH MATCH: Make sure you know what you are supposed to do after each match.
COACHES: Most players will not have a coach at a double’s tournament. It's just you and your partner (which is great! There is no bench in doubles volleyball!!) If you have a coach, they may coach you between matches but may not talk to you during play. This is standard for doubles volleyball tournaments. Most coaches that come usually just cheer their players on but other than being there to eat your food and enjoy the outdoors, the coaches have no real responsibilities on the day.
SCORE KEEPING/REFFING: Players do all the reefing and score keeping. No parents or coaches are allowed in the playing area and parents are not allowed to make calls. Doubles play is managed by the players only. Parents, we ask you to sit back and enjoy watching your daughter play. The cool part about doubles is that players are honest about balls that are out or in -- and If the players disagree about a call, the best response is to just play it over. Nobody should get angry or upset. Just play it over. But again -- ONLY the player should be involved in score keeping and reefing decisions. Tournament organizers will eject parents who interfere with team play so relax and have fun. It's volleyball!!!
DISPUTES - Note that any dispute should be solved by a replay. No outside person other than the reefing team should be a tie breaker or dispute resolver. The ref team and the two teams on the court must work out any conflicts. If someone on your court is misbehaving or showing poor sportsmanship, you can go to the tournament tent and ask an official to come to your court. This RARELY happens so don't worry about it.
SCORE KEEPING GEAR: It's a good idea to bring extra pens, plus a beach umbrella or chairs or a towel for score keeping. Each doubles team will be asked to sit at the net in the sun and keep score and the girls will want a blanket/towel or chairs to use during their work time.